To lead in the creation of a fair and just society.
- To make the legal system accessible to disadvantaged members of the community.
- To challenge systemic disadvantage within the community.
- To advocate for and assist service users to advance their rights and broaden their awareness of their responsibilities.
- To develop the confidence, skills and ethical conduct of Monash law students through participation in the clinical legal education program.
- Respect for diversity
- Promote active and full participation for community members
- Uphold the dignity of service users
- Promote human rights
- Ensure practice is informed by consultation
- Respond to every client in a holistic manner
SMLS aims to empower and support members of our community to use the law and legal system to protect and advance their rights and broaden their awareness of legal processes.
SMLS seeks to redress imbalances in access to justice through the provision of legal assistance and information, community legal education and law reform.
SMLS also aims to develop the confidence, skills and ethics of law students through clinical legal education in a community environment.